Zambia Medical Mission

Monday, July 11, 2005

Sunday July 10th

Zambia Medical Mission has a rhythm and a balance, and we did not find either of them until mid-day today, but now that we have found them, we are ready to fully achieve what we came to do.



While we are still have limited contact with the outside world, we hear from South Africa that Johnny Robinson is receiving excellent medical care. We wish we knew more specifics, but despite my ability to send this message, we are somewhat cut off from outside communication.



We saw approximately 2300 people during our first clinic-day, which is good, but I predict we will do better as time goes on.



Last year, I sat and dictated what I saw for some of the emails, and many of you said it was your favorite part of the reports, so this year, I will begin it again, with a slight twist to accommodate my inability to see the clinic while using the computers:-)



I see Kelly Moore wearing yet another baseball cap. He wears one until he finds someone who needs it worse than he does, then he gives it away and goes back to some magic box that seems to replenish them as he dips them out.



I see Adam McKinzie counting out medicine with a big smile.



I see Dan (DD) Southall doing, well, just about anything that someone else is too tired to do. I think he as ambitions to be a future medical-mission-director;-)



I see Adam Patterson stepping in where Johnny Robinson was supposed to work in the wound care area.



I see Nadara Sperry



I see LaDonna Armstrong taking digital photographs of every Zambian volunteer so that she can create a directory.



I see Klay Bartee (he who never sleeps) cleaning a wound.



I see Jimmy Welch looking up into the back of a big yellow school bus that has been converted into “Pills-on-Wheels,” taking bags of medicine and handing them to individuals in a crowd.



I see David Moore typing on a computer (an incongruent sight) keeping an inventory of the glasses that have been given, while looking in an inventory system for another prescription.



I see Chad Morris standing just outside a door waving for someone to come in.



I see Don Oldenburg sitting at the end of a huge truck full of supplies ready to find just about anything that the team might need. Don’t let the sitting part fool you, he is one tired fellow at the end of the day with all the lifting and moving that has to be done.



Of course, I can’t see all these things at one moment, but I do have the unique vantage point to let me see a host of people doing things they may or may not have been trained to do, and doing them well.



Thanks for your interest.